I shouldn’t be here to write this blog. I should be on my way to start another section of the Mountains-to-Sea Trail in the Piedmont.
I’ve been working on this trip for a while.
I’ve worked out the start and end of each hiking day, using Scot Ward’s MST guide and then checked this with the North Carolina Gazetter. I reconfirmed with each one of my wonderful helpers. I shopped and repackaged my food. I packed. And then the snow started.
Should I go or should I stay? I find that a very uncomfortable question. I’ve checked the weather obsessively on the Asheville Citizen-Times website and on weather dot com, using the various places I was aiming for. Both sites hype up the weather drama.
Some snow now but big storm looking is the headline on the Citizen-Times website. It isn’t looking good for the next few days.
It started snowing last night. This morning, we woke up to more snow.
Lenny went out to shovel our sidewalk early this morning. It didn’t take long for the snow to cover up all the work he did. He went out again a couple of hours later.
I don’t want to be on autopilot and say “I’m going no matter what the weather does.” But I don’t want to be so careful as to miss hiking opportunities.
I drove around the area and got on the highway. The exit ramps were not looking good. On the way back from my reconnaissance drive, I saw a truck that had rammed a power line. Neither the truck or the line looked good.
I decided to stay home until midweek.
My stuff looks forlorn, strewn all over the dining room floor. I’m hopeful and I’m not unpacking.
But each time I look at the stuff, it’s a reminder that I could have been on the trail.
So was I sensible or wimpy?