Friends of the MST only has one meeting a year. It’s a good time to meet MST completers, aspirants, supporters and dreamers.
This year, the meeting will be on Saturday, February 2 from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm at the Haw River Ballroom in Saxapahaw (near Burlington and Chapel Hill). [When the place makes the New York Times, you know it’s cool.]
Here’s what the announcement says:
We’ve planned a fun and fast-paced agenda to help you learn more about trail progress, future plans and how you can get involved.
The agenda includes:
• Progress reports on the trail
• A keynote presentation by Diane Van Deren, The North Face ultrarunner who completed the MST last year. Diane is a great speaker with an inspiring life story who has brought national attention to the trail (see National Geographic’s bucket list) and helped Great Outdoor Provision Co. raise $40,000 for the trail.
• Remarks by NC Representative Nelson Dollar who has been a long-time friend of the MST
• Workshops for trail volunteers and people interested in hiking the trail
• A hike along the Haw River Trail in Saxapahaw as an outdoor alternative to the afternoon workshops. This trail will soon become part of the MST route.
• Opportunities for you to ask questions and meet other trail enthusiasts
• A fun meeting location and a delicious lunch!
The meeting costs $15 including lunch, and it’s a great way to learn about the MST and about how you can get more involved in our work. Attendees who are not FMST members are encouraged to join our ranks of trail supporters with a tax-deductible gift of $25.
We hope you’ll join us that day. Please RSVP by Tuesday, January 29 by clicking on the link below.